Musings, bitching, rants, and amusing notions on the daily life of a NYC crazy cat lady

Thursday, February 16, 2006

My love affair...

I'm completely and utterly in love with the New York Public Library. I recently decided that I absolutely had to stop purchasing so many books. In addition to running out of shelf space, I have to admit that most of the books I've bought in the last two years are of the "read once and never touch again" categories. A waste of money and space if you ask me--so I decided to head over to the NYPL, just two blocks from my job. Mind you, the St. Agnes Branch is not the best--it's a little stuffy and has a limited selection, but it more that serves its purpose--it's simply the place to pick up my book orders. You see, my favorite thing about the library is their website and their very modern keychain swipe library cards. I go online, do a quick search for what I want to read, request it, and in a couple of days, an e-mail is sent notifying me that my books have arrived. You can do all sorts of nifty things on their website like look up NYTimes bestsellers, the most notable books of the last few years, and even see what kinds of movies and cds they have available. Who said the library is outdated? Not I!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home