Musings, bitching, rants, and amusing notions on the daily life of a NYC crazy cat lady

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Steven

I had lunch with my friend Steven today--I haven't seen him since I got married. That's almost a year and a half ago. Funny how you don't see someone for that long, and it feels like you hung out two days ago. I'm glad for that. When I think about all of the people that I've called "friends" in my lifetime that were little more than aquaintances-realized-after-the-fact, it makes me happy that I've been right about calling him my friend all along. I've missed him a lot this past year and a half, but shit happens. Life happens. You get older, priorities change, the running around going out constantly, always needing to be in large groups of people--it gets old, especially after you find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. And the real friends are always able to slip back into that groove you've always had and things are like they always were. We were laughing about how old we are--compared to 10 years ago when we first met and were worried about going to shows and Riverrun, the literary journal that we worked on together in college--to now, and how we're thinking about where our parents and parent's-in-law will spend their "golden" years, the cost of having and raising a baby, and buying a house. Totally different mindsets, but it makes sense. I think at some point in your life you stop. Think. Realize that there are a handful of things, family, and friends that are worth giving a shit about, and all the rest can go rot. Steven is one that is worth giving a shit about.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home